Food for Thought

"Life isnt just about living or existing, but adding value to the lives of others one way or other, in order to make the world a better place." ~ N.K. Ituma

Friday 11 September 2015

Accounting Awareness Feature - Reni Ayinde's ICAN journey

Hi everyone!
In contrast to our usual discussion of accounting standards. We have an amazing feature to inspire everyone of us especially those writing ICAN, ACCA or other professional exams.

Please read, share & be inspired! (Post Below!)

I remember November 2006 so well. Gaining admission into OAU was in all wise a feat. But no! I was not in the party of those who would rest on their oars. “I need to start my professional exam ASAP!” I thought to myself. As per serious girl things now, I had it all planned - I would start with the Accountant Technician’s Scheme (ATS) which required only my O level result to register. And on acquiring the ATS certification, I would apply for the professional ICAN exam. Preparing for the ATS exam would equally help my school work (or so I thought), I would be more serious (an idle mind is the devil's workshop) and by first semester 400 level I would have fulfilled the dream I had as a little girl, I would be a Chartered Accountant.
I found out all about ATS/ICAN and gave my dad all the details, I went to ICAN office to get the form for registration, got my books and started reading. My dad was amazed!



Okay, I share my story with you not because I just want to write something, no. I share it knowing fully well that we all tow different paths in life. You may as well be at the foot of a seemingly insurmountable mountain in a quest to acquiring a professional certification, or who knows? Your story might be totally unrelated to mine. But one thing is sure, we all journey through life’s intricacies, and I hope that my story will encourage you and give you courage to press on.
He who has started this good work in you shall complete it even till the coming of Christ -Philippians 1:6

So I went for my first exam--ATS1, and as expected, I cleared all four papers. The journey finally had begun, and on a stellar note. A few more years? Gbam! All done. Or so I dreamt.

ATS 2 (March 2008- September 2008)
January 2 2008, I packed my bags and went back to school (though the school session had not commenced yet), all because I wanted to attend classes for ATS 2. Serious girl things! I read o! And was comfortable with all but one of my courses- Government Accounting. I just did not get it. It was just not a mind tasking course for me. And then, there was this comic lecturer who taught the course, hahahahaha! Thinking of this man alone makes me laugh to tears. He told us that the syllabus was scattered and we should just follow him. Of the 21 students in the class, 5 stopped attending, I was not one of them. I wish I was though, because when the results were finally released, only 6 people made it to ATS3. Sadly, I was not one of them.
This was my first ever encounter with failure of any sort. And it dealt me a big blow!
You see ehn, that was me, the unflinching goal getter. I had known I wanted to be an accountant since I was like 5 or 6 years old, and nothing, not even my parents or school guidance counsellors could deter me from achieving that goal. Not JAMB, not WAEC, no one.
I had always been one of the best in my set, I was the go-to girl, and I took my accounting and related courses very seriously. But when I least expected, ATS re-wrote the epistle, rubbished all I held as a template and left me wondering, why? In that moment, I felt like I would implode. “So I really don't know anything” I thought to myself. Please laugh oh, because I am laughing too, all because of one paper.
Anyway, I remember kneeling and crying my eyes all out, for ATS. I got up saying to myself "Reni, just do it again, hopefully, you will pass it". But then I still was sober, sad and altogether quiet .I came unto a hard reality, the light that had guided me on the path to being chartered appeared to dim out, I shivered at the thought that I could fail again.
People told me I tried. “Haa don't you know ICAN?” Reeling out lyrics and melody of consolation for failure. Abeg! We all just put the blame on ICAN, if only ICAN had a mouth to respond. I wrote the next diet (Government Accounting only), I was pretty Ill but God helped me, for I was not the most diligent in preparing for the paper (morale was low and the course was not brain tasking at all).
I passed! Yaaaaay! ATS2 conquered onto ATS3.... Wooosh! The dream was on and the joy rekindled. One more level and I would become AAT. That felt good, but this was not the plan because I was already in 300 level! Time had run by already

ATS 3 (September 2009)
January 2009, I was in 300 Level and ready to take the ATS3 exams but I had not started preparations for the March diet. Then considering my responsibilities in church as well, I developed cold feet and pushed my exam to September 2009. AASU embarked on a strike that lasted 4 months and some friends and I stayed back all through, preparing for the September exam.
I was very ill during the exam and each paper came with as much tears as prayers. The girl who sat next to me advised that I go to the hospital, get appropriate treatment and write the next diet. Haaaaa! If I could, I would have flung her out of the window! For what naaa? After forfeiting a lovely break to study for the exam? No way, for all I cared, they could as well bring the hospital to me. I had pity on my examiners though, my hand writing was barely legible.
I remember when my friends were pinpointing questions that they had solved while studying, I was blank. I closed my ears and said “God I believe, I have passed this exam!” The tension grew as the date for the results drew closer, and on that Thursday afternoon when results were released I couldn't eat, my moment of truth. My friends started rejoicing. All, save for one of them, passed all papers. I asked how they knew their results so soon, they said a mutual friend checked for them. I wondered why the mutual friend in question failed to check mine. My mind played back to ATS2, this friend checked my result but could not tell me because I had failed a paper. No, it was not happening again, I quickly located him and asked if he checked my result, “Oh! I’m sorry, I forgot” he said.
You can imagine the agony and mental torture I went through from Thursday to Monday morning when I eventually checked my result on line. I was so quiet, and scared. I remember waking around 5am on Monday morning sensing a need to just dance and praise God so I did so. Oh! Did I dance? I danced crying because Reni was scared! God would come through for me, He had to. I prayed, and hoped, and cried and cried more. Please, God please.
At 8am, I took a bus to the cyber cafe, you can imagine, I was the first customer. My heart was racing so fast! The devil kept painting pictures in my mind of bad failure. But I kept confessing my lot “God will come through for me! I will pass. I will have the last laugh”. It looked like eternity before the page could load! And when it did. I almost flew out of the window. Yes! I PASSED! I called my mum, “I am now an AAT.”
Induction to AAT took place 17 June 2010 and I was happy, my family too.
As planned, I went on to apply for the ICAN Professional examination with my ATS certificate, only to find out that the syllabus had changed. A new level had been included and as such, I had to write one paper Business Communication and Research Methodology (BCRM) in that level before moving on!
Annoying! Well I did that paper, fully prepared but again, I was ill during the exam (this time though, the illness was due to something my friends and I ate! Argh! ) I kept losing my thoughts in the exam hall, but God helped me. Results came and I passed. Glory to God.

To be continued…

Ayinde Morenike
The Lord’s Handmaiden
www.handmaidenwritings.wordpress.com



No comments:

Post a Comment